Tree Removal Techniques
Which One is Right for Your Project?
July 6, 2023
Say you have a tree that needs to be removed. Whether it’s dead, diseased, or has become a hazard to its surroundings, the tree removal process can be precarious. What’s even more tricky is if you have to pass a fence, hedge, or other obstacle in order to get to this tree. There are several tree removal techniques that can make this process easier. However, all of them should be handled by a professional.
Tree Removal Techniques
There’s a lot to consider when it comes to the best way to remove a tree. From determining if a tree needs to come down sooner rather than later to the proper way to cut it down branch by branch, there’s more planning involved than you may think.
Another factor that needs to be decided early on is what type of technique is best suited for the specific situation. Here are a few options:
- Climbing. A professional arborist uses specialized rigging gear to climb the tree and cut it down section by section. This technique is typically used when heavy equipment isn’t able to access the area.
- Speedline. A more efficient way of dropping the branches involves a climber that cuts a section and sends it to the ground by rigging it to a dedicated line. This helps to guide the branches in a specific direction and makes it easier to clear obstacles such as hedges and fences.
- Bucket truck. Instead of climbing a tree, a professional is stationed in a bucket and lifted to reach the taller sections. This is a safer solution if the tree can’t be climbed.
- Crane. Multiple teams work to climb and cut the tree and remove the cut pieces from the area via crane. A crane can help lift heavy pieces over obstacles such as sheds and away from homes.
The type of technique used will depend on the current condition of the tree, the types of obstacles in the area, and the equipment available. Of course, a professional tree removal company should have access to the tools needed to get the job done properly.
In addition to the standard chain saw and protective gear needed to tackle any tree removal project, there are other tools that help make the tree removal process easier.
- Skid steer loaders. These tractor-like machines easily lift and transport logs and brush across a work site.
- Chippers. Make quick work of mulching branches, brush, and other debris.
- Stump grinders. Once the tree is removed, take care of the leftover stump.
While these tools are usually available to rent from specialized retailers, a professional tree removal company should also have access and know how to properly operate the machinery.
The type of technique used to remove a tree needs to be decided during the quote process. This way any necessary equipment can be discussed and secured before the project begins. This is another reason why hiring a professional tree removal company is imperative to getting the job done safely and effectively. Contact Elite Tree Care to discuss your next tree removal project. After an initial consultation, we can help determine the best technique for your specific situation.
Download Your FREE Tree Removal Guide
Even dedicated DIYers should think twice before taking on the task of tree removal. Our guide will help you decide whether to hire a tree service and how to get the most value for your money.